2013 Application Process is now closed.
Please check back for 2014 Information in the fall of 2013.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older.
- Only artists who have resided in the following zip codes for at least one year prior to October 26, 2012 qualify:*
Qualified Zip Codes: 92602, 92603, 92604, 92606, 92610, 92612, 92614, 92617, 92618, 92620, 92624, 92625, 92626, 92627, 92629, 92630, 92637, 92651, 92653, 92656, 92657, 92660, 92661, 92662, 92663, 92672, 92673, 92675, 92677, 92679, 92688, 92691, 92692, 92694.
- *At the time of acceptance, proof of residency will be required such as a copy of property tax bill or rental/lease agreement. Note: Studio or Gallery location does not qualify as residence.
- No reproductions – only original artwork is accepted and exhibited.
- All work must be of original design and solely the work of the artist. The work exhibited must match the quality and style of work as represented in the submitted images. Only original artwork is accepted, no reproductions.
- The jurying process is in two phases. The first phase, jurors will review the three digital images per media submitted by applicants. The images will be scored on a Yes-No System. Additional media would require a separate submission. The second phase requires artists to bring in three pieces of artwork for physical jurying.
- The jurors will score the submitted artwork, based on quality, intention and content; excellence of craftmanship; facility with media; excellence in the use of design elements; and professional presentation.
Mary Aslin , Darrell Ebert, Henry Korn , Andrew Myers , Joe Poshek , Gerald Schwartz, Kirsten Whalen (Alternate)
Want to learn more about the Festival of Arts’ 2014 Summer Exhibit application process?
Save the Date! Free Seminar – September 17, 2013
If you’re interested in learning more about the Summer Exhibit, the 2014 application process and photographing your artwork effectively for art exhibits; please attend the FREE seminar on September 17 (7:00 – 9:00 pm). Located in the Forum Theatre, on the Festival of Arts grounds, 650 Laguna Canyon Road, Laguna Beach, CA 92651. Limited seating. First come first served. For more information, call 949-464-4234.
If you require additional assistance, please contact Exhibits Department by phone (949) 464-4234 or contact Kathy Pitts by clicking here.
Deadlines to Apply
2013 Application Process is now closed.
Please check back for 2014 information in the fall of 2013.
2013 Important Dates
|August 1, 2012||Exhibit Applications Available|
|September 18, 2012||“How to Prepare Your Artwork for Submission to the 2013 Summer Exhibit”, Free Seminar: 7:00 – 9:00 pm Forum Theater; Limited Seating|
|October 26, 2012||Deadline for new applications: 4:00 pm|
|November 10, 2012||Digital Jurying|
|December 2, 2012||Physical Jurying (Boys & Girls Club); 7:00 – 9:30 am drop off; 1:00 – 1:30 pm pick up|
|December 5, 2012||Notifications Sent|
|June 29 – August 31, 2013||2013 Festival of Arts Summer Exhibit|
Frequently Asked Questions
Should I mail or drop off my application?
- The best way to make sure your application is received on time is to personally bring it to the office. Office hours are Monday-Friday 9:00 am to 5:0 pm. If you are submitting your application well ahead of the deadline, then using the US Postal Service will suffice. Notifications are emailed when applications are received. Absolute deadline is Friday, October 26, 2012 at 4:00 pm.
Why do you require an email?
- All communication regarding acceptance/non-acceptance, dates, etc. is done by email. This saves both time and resources and gets the information to you in the most efficient and timely manner.
Do you accept cash payment for the application fee?
- Yes, we accept cash, check, credit card and money orders. Please do not send cash through the mail.
What if I want to submit more than one medium?
- Each medium would require its own, separate application. Each would also require a separate application fee. You may enter in as many media as you like. Please note: Photography is one medium. Color photography, black and white photography, landscape photography, etc. is all considered one medium: photography.
If I applied last year, may I submit the same images this year?
- Yes you can. Every year there is a new jury so last year’s images will be new to this year’s jury. Always submit your best work.
How many spaces are available?
- Every year is different. A total of 30% of the previous year’s exhibitors are juried out at the end of each season (30% of 140 = 42). These exhibitors have to rejury to regain their exhibitorship status and are not “guaranteed” a spot in the exhibit. The number may fluctuate as qualified exhibitors may request a sabbatical year, or perhaps move out of the qualifying area, become ill, etc. thus making more spaces available. In addition, those exhibitors on sabbatical the previous year automatically return into the exhibitorship, if they so choose, making fewer spaces available.
Do you have a specific number of photographers or painters or sculptors accepted each year?
- No, we do not have any quotas.
If I am accepted to the physical jurying, do I have to bring the exact items that were in my digital submission?
- No, but it is preferred as the jury selected that work for a reason. You may bring other artworks, but they must be of the same quality/type as what was originally submitted. All artwork submitted at physical jurying should be framed and ready as if to present in exhibit.
If I am accepted into the Festival, what expenses will I have to be responsible for?
- There is a booth fee of $325. In addition, you are responsible to provide a current City of Laguna Beach business license (requires a fee payment) and a current State of California Board of Equalization Seller’s Permit. You are also responsible for construction of your booth and for the lights/lighting. The cost of booth construction will depend on who constructs and what is constructed. In addition, every exhibitor is required to provide 10 hours of volunteer time.
Is there an advantage to submitting my application early?
- Submissions are shown in the order they are received.
I have never photographed my artwork (or “I am not good with the computer”). Is there anyone who can do it for me?
- Yes, we have a list of photographers/computer users who specialize in this kind of work. They do charge a fee.
If I am accepted into the Festival, what is my time commitment?
- The more time you spend at your booth, the better your experience will be. Patrons love to meet the artists.
What percentage of my sale does the Festival take?
- The Festival of Arts does not take any percentage of any artists’ sale.
Is there a way to sell my work if I am not there?
- Yes, if you choose you may sign up with the independent contractor in the Fine Art Sales Booth. If you sign up with him, he will sell your work on your behalf. He does collect a commission of 20%. Another method would be to have an employee, family member or someone familiar with your work “booth sit” when you cannot be here. This person(s) would have your authority to sell your work on your behalf in your absence. No commission is paid to the Festival. All “booth sitters” must be registered with the Security office and have proper identification.