- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older.
- Only artists who have resided in Orange County for at least one year prior to October 31, 2017 qualify.
- At the time of acceptance, proof of residency will be required such as a copy of property tax bill or rental/lease agreement. Note: Studio or Gallery location does not qualify as residence.
- No reproductions – only original artwork is accepted and exhibited.
- All work must be of original design and solely the work of the artist. The work exhibited must match the quality and style of work as represented in the submitted images. Only original artwork is accepted, no reproductions.
- The jurying process is in two phases. During the first phase, jurors will review the three digital images per media submitted by applicants. The images will be scored on a Yes-No System. Additional media would require a separate submission. The second phase requires artists to bring in three pieces of artwork for physical jurying.
- The jurors will score the submitted artwork, based on quality, intention and content; excellence of craftmanship; facility with media; excellence in the use of design elements; and professional presentation.
- Jurying fees are $50 per medium submitted.
- Paul Bond, Painter
- Sam Carter, Creative Director of the USC Design Studio
- Rick Graves, Photographer (alternate)
- Wendy Shields, former Director of the Irvine Fine Arts Center
- Mike Tauber, Ceramicist
- Steve Venz, Arts Coordinator of the Orange County Department of Education
Applications to exhibit in the 2018 Summer Exhibit will be accepted and processed by the Festival of Arts. Applications must be received by Tuesday, October 31, 2017 (4 pm) at the Festival of Arts.
The deadline to apply for the 2018 Festival of Arts has passed.
For any questions regarding the application process, please contact our exhibits department at (949) 464-4234 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
September 1, 2017
Exhibit Applications Available
September 30, 2017
Artist Application Seminar- 10:30am
Saddleback Visual Arts Studio
1 Purpose Drive, Lake Forest, CA
October 4, 2017
Artist Application Seminar- 5pm
Festival of Arts Forum Theater
650 Laguna Canyon Road, Laguna Beach, CA
October 31, 2017
Deadline for new applications: 4:00 pm
November 23, 2017
Notifications sent prior to this date
January 13, 2018
January 31, 2018
Notifications sent prior to this date
July 5 – Sept 1, 2018
Festival of Arts Summer Exhibit
May I drop off my application?
- All applicants must apply through the digital form on the website.
Why do you require an email?
- All communication regarding acceptance/non-acceptance, dates, etc. is done by email. This saves both time and resources and gets the information to you in the most efficient and timely manner.
What is the application fee?
- A non-refundable jury fee of $50 per medium is required with each submission.
Do you accept cash payment for the application fee?
- All payments must be made via debit or credit card on the website.
Is there a booth fee?
- Yes, members of the Festival of Arts are required to pay a fee of $400 for their booth. Non-members are charged a fee of $500.
What if I want to submit more than one medium?
- Each medium would require its own, separate application. Each would also require a separate application fee. You may enter in as many media as you like. Please note: Photography is one medium. Color photography, black and white photography, landscape photography, etc. is all considered one medium: photography.
If I applied last year, may I submit the same images this year?
- Yes you can. Every year there is a new jury so last year’s images will be new to this year’s jury. Always submit your best work.
How many spaces are available?
- Every year is different. A total of 30% of the previous year’s exhibitors are juried out at the end of each season (30% of 140 = 42). These exhibitors have to rejury to regain their exhibitorship status and are not “guaranteed” a spot in the exhibit. The number may fluctuate as qualified exhibitors may request a sabbatical year, or perhaps move out of the qualifying area, become ill, etc. thus making more spaces available. In addition, those exhibitors on sabbatical the previous year automatically return into the exhibitorship, if they so choose, making fewer spaces available.
Do you have a specific number of photographers or painters or sculptors accepted each year?
- No, we do not have any quotas.
If I am accepted to the physical jurying, do I have to bring the exact items that were in my digital submission?
- No, but it is preferred as the jury selected that work for a reason. You may bring other artworks, but they must be of the same quality/type as what was originally submitted. All artwork submitted at physical jurying should be framed and ready as if to present in exhibit.
If I am accepted into the Festival, what expenses will I have to be responsible for?
- There is a booth fee. In addition, you are responsible to provide a current City of Laguna Beach business license (requires a fee payment) and a current State of California Board of Equalization Seller’s Permit. You are also responsible for construction of your booth and for the lights/lighting. The cost of booth construction will depend on who constructs and what is constructed. In addition, every exhibitor is required to provide 10 hours of volunteer time.
Is there an advantage to submitting my application early?
- Submissions are shown in the order they are received.
I have never photographed my artwork (or “I am not good with the computer”). Is there anyone who can do it for me?
- Yes, we have a list of photographers/computer users who specialize in this kind of work. They do charge a fee.
If I am accepted into the Festival, what is my time commitment?
- The more time you spend at your booth, the better your experience will be. Patrons love to meet the artists. Each artist is also required to complete 10 hours of volunteer time at the Festival.
What percentage of my sale does the Festival take?
- The Festival of Arts does not take any percentage of any artists’ sale.
Is there a way to sell my work if I am not there?
- Yes, if you choose you may sign up with the independent contractor in the Fine Art Sales Booth. If you sign up with him, he will sell your work on your behalf. He does collect a commission of 20%. Another method would be to have an employee, family member or someone familiar with your work “booth sit” when you cannot be here. This person(s) would have your authority to sell your work on your behalf in your absence. No commission is paid to the Festival. All “booth sitters” must be registered with the Security office and have proper identification.